Any Germanics major (or candidate) who demonstrates academic excellence is eligible to participate in Germanics Departmental Honors. Departmental Honors requires students to complete 20 credits of upper division Germanics coursework as ad hoc honors courses. For Winter 2020, applications (online) must be completed and submitted by Monday, January 13 @ 9:00am.
BENEFITS OF GERMANICS HONORS
- Individualized study and the opportunity to work closely with an instructor and topic
- Acquire more in-depth knowledge of the culture and history of German-speaking countries and Europe
- No additional credits / courses are required, as this is an “ad hoc” honors program
- Successful completion = Distinction in Germanics on the transcript
SOME EXAMPLES OF RECENT HONORS COURSE PROJECTS:
- (GERM 311) Performance of Schubert’s Lieder and in-class presentation
- (GERM 311) Blog series on David Bowie’s reception and adaptation of Brecht poems
- (GERM 423) Translation of a work of contemporary literature and accompanying essay
IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR THE PROGRAM:
- Students must have an overall GPA of at least 3.3;
- Students must have a GPA in Germanics of 3.5;
- Students must have completed German 101 through 203, or the equivalent.
During the first week of the quarter the student will locate an instructor teaching that quarter who is willing to permit the student to take the instructor's course for ad hoc honors. Student and instructor must agree on a project to be completed that quarter.
Contact Honors Advisor Jason Groves (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
MORE INFORMATION HERE: