What is a hybrid language class?
In general, hybrid courses are traditional classes that reduce seat time in favor of online mediated activities. This format allows for students to spend less time on campus, offering flexibility for those inhibited by time, distance, or personal obligations. All our hybrid courses constitute five-credit courses, while students meet only for three hours in class and fulfill additional work online.
Before signing up for a hybrid class, consider the following issues:
- The independent nature of a hybrid course tends to involve more work on the student's part, thrusting more responsibility on the course taker.
- The amount of homework is more than in a traditional class.
- The instructors spend less time on explaining grammar in class.
- A hybrid course does not replace student teacher interaction.
- Students have fewer opportunities hearing their instructor speak in German.
- Due to the limitation of the medium, there is less error corrective and student tailored feedback.
Some advantages of hybrid courses are:
- You can study at home.
- You can take more time if you need it.
- You have more flexibility.
- You have to spend less time on campus.
Is this the right class for you?
- Do you like to study on your own?
- Do you like to study in an online learning environment?
- Do you like technology?
- If you don’t understand something right away, do you feel comfortable and are you willing to research the answer yourself?
- Are you an independent learner?
- Are you able to stay on top of things yourself?
- Do you know how to manage your time?
- Are you disciplined, committed and self-motivated to learn on your own?
If you have answered most of these questions with YES, then a hybrid class may be the right one for you.
- Do you like to interact with your peer students?
- Do you prefer a social environment for learning?
- Do you prefer face-to-face interactions with your teacher?
- Do you prefer a structured classroom environment?
- Do you prefer to receive error corrective feedback most of the time and right away?
If you have answered most of these questions with YES, then a traditional class may be the right one for you.