The following are departmental learning objectives for our majors:
- To acquire linguistic fluency in German and broad knowledge of German / Austrian / Swiss language, literature, and culture;
- To increase critical awareness and sensitivity to other languages and cultures as well as to one's own;
- To develop skills of analytical and integrative thinking, critical reading and writing;
- To communicate clearly and concisely both in written and spoken form;
- To understand how to do research in German literary and cultural studies.