Professor of German
Ph.D. in German Literature, University of California at Irvine, 1995
Dr.Phil. in German Philology and History, Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz, Austria, 1988
M.A. in German, University of Colorado at Boulder, 1987
- Unglück und Zerstreuung: Autobiographisches Schreiben bei Franz Grillparzer, Aisthesis, Essay, Bd. 44, 2016
- Waldgänge und Waldgänger in Maja Haderlaps Roman Engel des Vergessens. In: Studia theodisca 21 (2014): 85-127.
- Naturtherapie und Subjektreflexion: Der hohe Norden bei Judith Hermann und Anna Kim. In: Arcadia: Internationale Zeitschrift für Literaturwissenschaft / International Journal for Literary Studies 47:2 (2013): 421-446.
- Brigitte Prutti. Grillparzers Welttheater: Modernität und Tradition. Aisthesis Verlag: 2013.
- Brigitte Prutti. AISTHESIS Essay 34. Festzertrümmerungen: Thomas Bernhard und seine Preise. Aisthesis Verlag: 2012.
Research Advised: Graduate Dissertations
- Kristina Pilz. "Writing Across Margins: Contemporary Afro-German Literature." Diss.
- Olivia Albiero. "Moments of Rupture: Narratological Readings of Contemporary German Literature." Diss.
- Eric Scheufler. "Documents, Genealogies, Memories: Literary Models of Historiography in 19th Century German Historical Fiction." Diss., in progress.
- Gloria Man. "Writing the Enclave: Topographies of Difference in Contemporary German-language Prose." Diss., in progress.
Summer 2013 A-term
- SAGA Internship: Warum kannst Du so gut Deutsch sprechen? - June 14, 2019
- Departmental Convocation: Congratulations to the Class of 2018 - 2019! - June 14, 2019
- Newly Minted PhD and 2017-18 Mellon Fellow for Reaching New Publics: Kristina Pilz - June 11, 2019
- Rethinking Plant-Human Relationships in the Anthropocene: Meet our Alumna Heather Sullivan (PhD 1995) - June 10, 2019
- Alum News: Ryan C. Maves, MD, Captain, Medical Corps, U.S. Navy, UW Germanics BA 1995 - June 5, 2019
- Advocacy for German: Meet our Alum Morgan Koerner (PhD 2007) - May 29, 2019
- German Internship Opportunity at the SAGA School - May 22, 2019
- Winter 2019: German Studies in English - December 12, 2018
- Spring 2018 UW Germanics Newsletter - March 14, 2018
- Celebrating 500 Years of Reformation: Martin Luther as a Man of his Times and Our Contemporary - November 28, 2017
- My Graduate Exchange Year in Seattle (Nina Doejen, Muenster) - November 21, 2017
- Daniel Garratt, Double Major in Physics and German: Why it makes sense for STEM students to study German - October 10, 2017
- Announcement: Hilde Bial-Neurath Endowed Fund in Germanics - July 25, 2017
- Gothic Revivals: Grillparzer’s Ahnfrau is back … thanks to German 421! - June 19, 2017
- News from our Graduate Students: PhD candidate Kristina Pilz - March 8, 2017
- Congratulations to the class of 2015-2016! - June 16, 2016
- New Faculty Publication by Brigitte Prutti: Unglück und Zerstreuung: Autobiographisches Schreiben bei Franz Grillparzer - March 7, 2016
- Congratulations to Sara Koeck: Germanics Student Ambassador Award - June 11, 2019
- German Career Day in Seattle - December 13, 2018
- News from our Graduate Students: PhD Candidate Kristina Pilz - March 12, 2018
- Dance Lessons for Spring in Vienna 2018 - March 12, 2018
- Spring 2018 Course Descriptions - January 23, 2018
- Visiting Scholar Spotlight: Adam Paulsen (University of Southern Denmark) - December 12, 2017
- Visiting Scholar Spotlight: Birthe Hoffmann (University of Copenhagen) - December 12, 2017
- New MA in Pedagogy and Culture - December 7, 2017
- Cross-Disciplinary Lectures in Germanics :: Winter and Spring Quarter 2017 - December 15, 2016
- Career Coffeehouse at Denny Hall - December 12, 2016
- Popular Study Abroad Program Enjoys Another Successful Spring Quarter in Vienna - September 4, 2015
- Undergraduates present projects on "Divided Berlin and the Fall of the Berlin Wall" - November 26, 2014
- Faculty News - Spring 2012 - June 15, 2012