I am interested in drama, narrative and lyric of the 17th-19th centuries and have published extensively on Goethe, particularly Faust, and also on Droste, Shakespeare, Schubert and Mozart. My last book discusses allegory and the advent of Neoclassicism in drama and opera from Shakespeare to Wagner. Currently I am working on Goethe and the modern subject. Other areas of interest include the German lied and translation.
I have taught at the University of New Hampshire, Mount Holyoke College, University of Virginia and University of Colorado, and have held visiting positions at the University of California at Irvine, Munich, Tübingen and Yale. I am a former president of the Goethe Society of North America and currently serve on the Editorial Board of PMLA.
- Jane Brown on Rick Gray - June 28, 2017
- A tribute to Professor Hellmut Ammerlahn's scholarship upon his retirement by Professor Jane K. Brown - May 4, 2016
- New faculty publication by Jane K. Brown: Goethe's Allegories of Identity - April 4, 2014
- Autumn Courses Offered in English: Faust and the Devil in Literature, Film, and Music - June 20, 2012
- Faculty News - Spring 2012 - June 15, 2012
- Professor Jane Brown Retires - June 14, 2012
- Chair's Letter - Spring 2012 - June 13, 2012