Verena Kick is a Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Germanics and a candidate for the Cinema and Media Studies Certificate, offered by the Department of Comparative Literature, Cinema & Media.
Her academic interests include the genre of the essay, literature of the Weimar Republic, critical theory, structures of the public sphere, and digital culture. Her dissertation focuses on the evolution of the essay in various media (print, photo, film, online) in the 20th and 21st century, addressing the relationship of the essay to the public sphere.
She is also interested in Digital Humanities, focusing on digital pedagogy and digital publishing. She has participated in various courses at the Digital Humanities Summer Institute (DHSI) in Victoria, Canada, including “Online Collaborative Scholarship”, “Creating Digital Humanities Projects for the Mobile Environment” and “Text Mapping as Modelling”. She has also held workshops on DH in the Department of Germanics at UW. Supported by the DH Commons Summer Fellowship, intitated by the Simpson Center for the Humanities, she is also working on publishing one chapter of her dissertation with the online platform Scalar.
In Spring 2015, she was the instructor of GER 304 German Play, directing an adaptation of Ulrich Plenzdorf’s “Die Neuen Leiden des jungen W.” In Summer 2015, she completed the certificate “Localization: Language and Technology for the Global Market”, offered by UW Professional & Continuing Education.
In Summer 2017, she was able to conduct research for her dissertation at the Deutsches Literaturarchiv Marbach, which was made possible by a stipend awarded by the "American Friends of Marbach."
This academic school year, she will be serving in Fall quarter as a TA for GER 385: Rhetoric and Social Justice - "Sympathy for the Devil" (Prof. Ellwood Wiggins) and she is looking forward to returning to the Deutsches Literaturarchiv in Marbach in Spring quarter to continue her research for her dissertation.
Summer 2016 A-term
- Fellowship News: Congratulations to PhD candidate Verena Kick - January 23, 2018
- Languages Matter: Why we learn German - November 14, 2017
- News from our Graduate Students: PhD candidate Verena Kick - March 6, 2017
- Building an Environmental Humanities Community across Disciplines: Explore our New Digital Platform: www.ehcommons.org - November 29, 2016
- Congratulations on Graduate Fellowships and Awards to Justin Mohler and Verena Kick! - June 14, 2017
- Graduate Student Achievement - March 7, 2016
- Spring 2015 student performance of "Die neuen Leiden des jungen W." now online! - October 27, 2015
- Graduate Students and Faculty Attend Digital Humanities Summer Institute - October 1, 2015
- Graduate Student Achievements and Awards - December 2, 2014
- Doctoral Candidate Verena Kick Wins Prestigious Hanauer Fellowship and Participates in Year-long Interdisciplinary Seminar - June 19, 2014
- Graduate student Verena Kick nominated to serve as HASTAC scholar for 2013-14 - October 7, 2013
- Graduate Students Showcase their Scholarship - February 22, 2013
- New Teleconferencing Program is a Great Success - February 11, 2013
- Interview With Prof. Dr. Volker Mergenthaler - June 15, 2012