My main area of interest is historical Germanic linguistics and secondarily and more broadly, the individual branches of the Indo-European languages and their historical development.
I have also published on the works of various German authors including Goethe, Kleist, Novalis and Nietzsche. In the area of pedagogy, I have collaborated with other scholars in producing Mosaik, a second-year german college program. I am currently serving on the editorial board of International Journal of Germanic Linguistics and Semiotic Analysis.
- Joseph Voyles & Charles Barrack. On Laryngealism: A Coursebook in the History of a Science. LINCOM GmbH: 2015
- Joseph Voyles and Charles Barrack. A Structural History of the German Language. Lincom Europa: 2014.
- Charles Barrack. Word Division within Gothic Consonant Clusters. 2011. Download PDF (819.49 KB)
- Joseph Voyles, Charles Barrack. An Introduction to Proto-Indo-European and the Early Indo-European Languages. Slavica Publishers: 2009.
- GERMAN 150 A: Conversational German Through Films
- GERMAN 250 A: Advanced Conversational German Through Films
- GERMAN 395 A: Proctoring Of First-Year German Film Course
- GERMAN 396 A: Proctoring Of Second-Year German Film Course
- GERMAN 452 A: History Of The German Language
- GERMAN 560 A: Modern Dialects
- News from our Alums: Van Holland (BA 1969, MA 1970) - April 30, 2018
- News from our Alums: John R. te Velde (PhD 1988) - April 9, 2018
- New Faculty Publication by Joe Voyles and Charles Barrack: On Laryngealism: A Coursebook in the History of a Science - December 2, 2015
- Joe Voyles toasts C.M. Barrack as Friend, Colleague, and Renaissance Man - December 1, 2015
- Alumni Pay Tribute to Professor Charles Barrack with Memories and Many Thanks - December 1, 2015
- Diana Behler honors longtime colleague and friend, Charles Barrack, on the occasion of his retirement - December 1, 2015
- New faculty publication by Joe Voyles and Charles Barrack: A Structural History of the German Language - December 8, 2014
- Faculty News - Spring 2012 - June 15, 2012